Code of Conduct: Recreational Coach
- I understand that my role as a Coach is to employ the very best of my efforts and abilities to develop the skills of the players and the cohesiveness of the team and to make all of my players’ soccer experience as enjoyable and rewarding as possible in a safe environment.
- I will remember that children participate to have fun, that this is a recreational program and that the league is for youths, not for adults.
- I will teach my players to play by the rules, and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility.
- I will be a positive role model for my players and will not engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any official, referee, coach, player, parent or spectator such as booing and taunting or using profane language or gestures. I will encourage good sportsmanship amongst my players by showing respect and courtesy, and by demonstrating positive support for all participants at every game. I will not smoke, consume alcohol or drugs or engage in abusive language at games or within sight of any of the players.
- I will endeavour to attend an age-specific NTSC-provided coach training session prior to the season.
- I understand that the Club, in an effort to provide an opportunity for all players to further develop their soccer skills, may provide technical staff to assist volunteer coaches in pre-game training for ages to U10. I agree to accept the assistance of assigned staff coaches and to co-operate with them. In age groups for which the club provides lesson plans, I agree to incorporate these into pre-game training sessions.
- I will respect the Referee and his/her authority during games and will never criticize, contradict or interfere with Referees or other Coaches at the game field. I will take the time to speak with them privately if I have any concerns or complaints, and if necessary I will report any serious and irreconcilable issues or discipline or harassment to my Convenor or League Official without delay.
- I acknowledge that when acting as a Coach, if any player on my team receives a “red card”, it is my responsibility to immediately advise the player that he/she is suspended from participating in the team’s next game (including Finals/Cups if applicable) and I will be responsible for assuring that they do not, in fact, participate in that next game.
- I will never be alone and out of sight with a player other than my own child (and thus will also never transport a child other than my own child, alone to a Club activity, but may do so if at least my own child is present as well).
- It is not my personal responsibility to provide snacks or drinks for players other than my own child.
- I will endeavour to wear a Club coach jersey at all times at games, when at all feasible.
- I will ensure that only those players who are registered with NTSC for the current season and assigned to my team by the club will play or practice with the team
- I will respect and adhere to the Rules and Regulations of the Ontario Soccer Association as well as the rules and regulations of the Club.
I have read and agree to the current Rules & Regulations which are posted on the Club’s website. These include rules with respect to equal playing time and substitutions (including Finals/Cup games); the position of the coach and players on the field and sidelines; and playing rules that apply to the age group.
I also acknowledge that if I fail to abide by the aforementioned Code, I may be subject to disciplinary action, to be determined by the Club as appropriate.